no audio on cisco webex
Douglas J Hunley
2013-02-05 13:54:31 UTC
I've got a brand new 64bit install of Gentoo here with Java and Flash
and it absolutely will not provide the audio portion of any Cisco
Webex meeting. I can see the presentation part w/o issue, I can watch
Youtube w/o issue, and I can even do a video call over Skype without
issue. Which all leads me to believe that my audio works :)

Does anyone now the magic needed to make Webex perform correctly?

--
Douglas J Hunley (***@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd Web:
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3
Paul Hartman
2013-02-05 15:29:20 UTC
Post by Douglas J Hunley
I've got a brand new 64bit install of Gentoo here with Java and Flash
and it absolutely will not provide the audio portion of any Cisco
Webex meeting. I can see the presentation part w/o issue, I can watch
Youtube w/o issue, and I can even do a video call over Skype without
issue. Which all leads me to believe that my audio works :)
Does anyone now the magic needed to make Webex perform correctly?
I have not used webex, but my googling seems to indicate the plugin
uses 32-bit libraries and you'll need to run a 32-bit browser in order
for sound to work on linux (or perhaps 64-bit browser using 32-bit
java through nspluginwrapper or something like that).
James
2013-02-05 17:48:56 UTC
Post by Douglas J Hunley
Does anyone now the magic needed to make Webex perform correctly?
Try the Chrome browser. Sometimes it works with
audio when other browsers do not.

hth,
James
Douglas J Hunley
2013-02-05 21:38:35 UTC
Post by James
Post by Douglas J Hunley
Does anyone now the magic needed to make Webex perform correctly?
Try the Chrome browser. Sometimes it works with
audio when other browsers do not.
Chrome is the only browser I use and is the one where I experienced
the issue :-/

--
Douglas J Hunley (***@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd Web:
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3
James
2013-02-06 16:51:32 UTC
Post by Douglas J Hunley
Post by James
Post by Douglas J Hunley
Does anyone now the magic needed to make Webex perform correctly?
Try the Chrome browser.
Chrome is the only browser I use and is the one where I experienced
the issue :-/
Do you have a cisco support contract?

If not a cisco engineer friend?

Surely this issue is documented in the cisco community somewhere.....

If nothing else, contact a cisco corporate sales representative.
Tell them your company is test interoperability with their offering
but it does not work? You need to find out why, before issuing a
purchase order recommendation.....

Cisco sales reps are the best at flushing out cisco problems,
particularly if a potential sales is on the line....

YMMV,
hth,
James
Douglas J Hunley
2013-02-07 14:27:54 UTC
Post by James
Cisco sales reps are the best at flushing out cisco problems,
particularly if a potential sales is on the line....
that's a good point, and I might end up going down that route. I found
that they expect the 'deprecated OSS api for ALSA' to be present, so
I'm going to try that next
thx!
--
Douglas J Hunley (***@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd Web:
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3
Douglas J Hunley
2013-02-06 15:36:54 UTC
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Paul Hartman
Post by Paul Hartman
I have not used webex, but my googling seems to indicate the plugin
uses 32-bit libraries and you'll need to run a 32-bit browser in order
for sound to work on linux (or perhaps 64-bit browser using 32-bit
java through nspluginwrapper or something like that).
this didn't fix it either. someone else told me that they need the old
OSS api in the kernel, so I'm gonna try that next :-/
--
Douglas J Hunley (***@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd Web: