Amazon-Instant video
Kevin Brandstatter
2013-02-12 07:32:10 UTC
I just got amazon prime for the instant videos (among other things) and
figured i should
be able to watch it on linux since its in flash.
However, I have had no luck getting it to play an instant video,
i've narrowed it down to videos with DRM, (because trailers play fine
and DRM screws up everything)
Google searches come up that it needs HAL (which is deprecated)
I even managed to install HAL, and still no luck

i keep getting "error occurred and your player cannot be updated"
I have the latest flash, chrome and firefox. (tried both)

Just wondering if others are having the same trouble or if someone has a
solution.

-Kevin
Mick
2013-02-12 09:07:52 UTC
Post by Kevin Brandstatter
I just got amazon prime for the instant videos (among other things) and
figured i should
be able to watch it on linux since its in flash.
However, I have had no luck getting it to play an instant video,
i've narrowed it down to videos with DRM, (because trailers play fine
and DRM screws up everything)
Google searches come up that it needs HAL (which is deprecated)
I even managed to install HAL, and still no luck
i keep getting "error occurred and your player cannot be updated"
I have the latest flash, chrome and firefox. (tried both)
Just wondering if others are having the same trouble or if someone has a
solution.
I do not have such an account, so cannot compare with what you're getting on
your system. However, I have had success using rtmpdump and friends in the
past with various flash videos, as well as youtube-dl. I do fear though that
DRM may screw things up, so YMMV.

This is how you can try intercepting the stream with rtmpsrv. Run as root:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1935 -j REDIRECT

rtmpsrv

then try to play the video with Firefox, accepting cookies, etc. At some
point if rtmpsrv is successful it will print on the terminal a very long URL.
Ctrl+c to stop rtmpsrv, then remove the redirect rule:

iptables -t nat -D OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1935 -j REDIRECT

and run as a plain user:

rtmpdump <URL>

If the stream URL was captured successfully you should be able to download it.

youtube-dl has a number of extractors some of which may work with amazons
implementation. Run 'youtube-dl --list-extractors' to list them.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick
Bruce Hill
2013-02-12 15:14:11 UTC
Post by Kevin Brandstatter
I just got amazon prime for the instant videos (among other things) and
figured i should
be able to watch it on linux since its in flash.
However, I have had no luck getting it to play an instant video,
i've narrowed it down to videos with DRM, (because trailers play fine
and DRM screws up everything)
Google searches come up that it needs HAL (which is deprecated)
I even managed to install HAL, and still no luck
i keep getting "error occurred and your player cannot be updated"
I have the latest flash, chrome and firefox. (tried both)
Just wondering if others are having the same trouble or if someone has a
solution.
-Kevin
Is this attached screenshot the type of message you get? If so, you should
have clicked on the link there which states "Why can't I watch videos on my
Chrome browser in Linux?" ... and this is the message it provides:

The Flash Player Plugin in Chrome removed support for Digital Rights
Management (DRM) in Linux as part of the upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4. This
upgrade was bundled with the latest Chrome 22 update for Linux. If you applied
the Chrome update, you are no longer able to watch DRM-protected content, such
as movies and TV episodes. Trailers are unaffected as they do not use DRM. To
get around this issue, you can use a different browser, such as Firefox. For
information on Chrome and the Flash Player plug-in, see:
https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086.

My Gentoo workstation is using firefox-18.0.1 and just updated to
adobe-flash-11.2.202.262 but won't play the free instant video I tried.

Since that's the latest version of flash in portage, I supposed you could try
and get the later source and create a local overlay and try that.
--
Happy Penguin Computers >')
126 Fenco Drive ( \

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting
Bruce Hill
2013-02-12 16:12:05 UTC
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 09:14:11AM -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
<snip>
Post by Bruce Hill
Since that's the latest version of flash in portage, I supposed you could try
and get the later source and create a local overlay and try that.
Should have said *earlier* source back, if not available in portage. According
to the message at the website, version 11.3. Course, there's probably more of
that webpage coded for the darkside, also.
--
Happy Penguin Computers >')
126 Fenco Drive ( \
Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
***@happypenguincomputers.com
662-269-2706 662-205-6424
http://happypenguincomputers.com/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting
Kevin Brandstatter
2013-02-14 02:09:13 UTC
No thats not it, i am using the adobe plugin not pepperflash.
This is the message that I get

http://imgur.com/LoNB9RV

-Kevin
Bruce Hill
2013-02-14 21:20:37 UTC
Post by Bruce Hill
Post by Kevin Brandstatter
[...]
It's the same error message, I just forgot to attach the screenshot before.
Here it is attached now.

You really just can't get all the web experiences you want w/out the darkside.
--
Happy Penguin Computers >')
126 Fenco Drive ( \
Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
***@happypenguincomputers.com
662-269-2706 662-205-6424
http://happypenguincomputers.com/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting
Paul Hartman
2013-02-12 16:16:13 UTC
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Kevin Brandstatter
Post by Kevin Brandstatter
I just got amazon prime for the instant videos (among other things) and
figured i should
be able to watch it on linux since its in flash.
However, I have had no luck getting it to play an instant video,
i've narrowed it down to videos with DRM, (because trailers play fine
and DRM screws up everything)
Google searches come up that it needs HAL (which is deprecated)
I even managed to install HAL, and still no luck
i keep getting "error occurred and your player cannot be updated"
I have the latest flash, chrome and firefox. (tried both)
Just wondering if others are having the same trouble or if someone has a
solution.
Sounds like you've basically gone down the correct path. Flash on
Linux is deprecated, DRM in Flash requires HAL which is deprecated.
It's basically a situation that will never improve... Amazon videos
did not previously use DRM, but as they attempt to compete and get
more "premium" content, the content providers require them to use DRM,
leaving us out in the cold. Not all Amazon videos use DRM but AFAIK
there is no way to filter by DRM status.

Adobe has a page with a DRM tester where people can attempt to play a
protected video, outside of amazon:
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/flash-player-11-problems-playing.html

I screwed around with trying to make Flash DRM work for a considerable
amount of time and it always either crashed the plugin, crashed my
browser or just plain didn't play. I finally gave up and watched it on
my TV instead...

If you want to get it working on your computer, your time may be
better spent installing an MS Windows web browser in Wine or setting
up a virtual machine with Windows... those are the only ways I've been
able to get protected video like Netflix/SlingPlayer/ESPN3/etc. to
work on my Linux box.
Bruce Hill
2013-02-12 17:16:20 UTC
Post by Paul Hartman
If you want to get it working on your computer, your time may be
better spent installing an MS Windows web browser in Wine or setting
up a virtual machine with Windows... those are the only ways I've been
able to get protected video like Netflix/SlingPlayer/ESPN3/etc. to
work on my Linux box.
The computing world is still slave to Mickey$oft and Apple.
--
Happy Penguin Computers >')
126 Fenco Drive ( \
Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^